In this post, I will be going over Balaam yoga, also known as nail rubbing. In this ancient therapy, a person rubs their nails to stimulate the scalp and encourage regrowth.
In this article, I will tell you everything you need to know about Balaam yoga, including what to expect, benefits, and the results that you can achieve.
Background Information on Balayam Yoga
Balayam is an alternative reflexology technique that includes rubbing fingernails together with some pressure. It is an acupressure treatment, and also known as nail rubbing exercise.
The term is formed by combining the terms "Bal" (Hair) and "Vyayam" (Exercise). Balayam is a well-known hair-care asana. It was created by ancient Rishi Munis, who were medics at the time, in India.
It is a beautiful remedy for many hair diseases, according to them. It works without using any specific drug or lotion and without interfering with the normal condition of a complex body.
It is a natural and straightforward hair regeneration procedure referenced in old books and works of yoga.
To encourage hair development and prevent hair loss, a person rubs the fingernails of both hands together. It can promote hair development and combat hair issues if done on a regular and suitable basis.
There are a few pressure points in your body known as acupressure points. When these points are adequately treated, blood flow to the scalp increases, resulting in better hair growth.
In addition, hair follicle roots are linked to the fingernails and provide energy to the head, necessary for hair development. This approach has its detractors as well as its supporters. Let us examine the procedure for determining the efficacy of balayam yoga.
How does it work?
The scalp is linked to the nerves beneath the nail bed, and frequent nail rubbing promotes blood flow and oxygen to the scalp.
Frequent rubbing stimulates the scalp, renewing hair follicles and promoting hair development by regulating DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), resulting in denser, thicker, and stronger hairs.
Balayam can even prevent hair from greying. It also treats headaches and neurological diseases of the brain.
Why does balayam work and the science behind it
The stimulation provided by frequent fingernail rubbing stimulates the nervous system, promoting blood flow to the scalp through its nail bed. There are two nerves beneath the nails.
First, there is a branch of the radial nerve that goes directly to the head. It supplies sensory information to the brain and helps provide sensory feedback for the normal function of your hands, including better circulation.
Second, another branch of this nerve (not directly connected with your nerves) provides energy to hair follicles, resulting in stronger and thicker hairs. Energy is also what promotes hair growth.
Frequent nail rubbing massages the scalp, creating better nutrient delivery to the follicles, strengthening thicker hairs.
If done with enough pressure, it improves blood flow to the scalp and ultimately leads to healthier hair growth.
Pressure applied on the knuckles will not stimulate nerves or blood flow. But pressure applied to the base of the fingers will enable both.
When you rub your fingernails together, it stimulates nerve endings and provides better circulation to hair roots, especially for men.
Here are some of the health benefits of balayam yoga:
Balayam promotes hair growth
When you regularly rub your fingernails together in a circular motion, you make your hair grow quicker and more robust.
How to do balayam yoga
The first and most crucial step in performing yoga or any yoga asana is sitting back, relaxing, and settling the mind.
So, close your eyes and take three deep breaths while sitting in any comfortable meditation position.
- Bring your hands up to your chest.
- Turn all four fingers inside, save the thumb.
- Rub the nails of both hands’ four fingers together.
- Do this for as long as you possibly can (At least 5 to 7 minutes). If you can’t do it all the time, make it a habit to do it at least once a day for 10 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Benefits of balayam yoga
- It adds shine and radiance to your hair.
- It promotes natural hair growth.
- It restores your black hair and eliminates grey and white hair issues.
- It is the most effective yoga therapy for reversing baldness and promoting natural hair growth.
- Balayam Yoga reduces the ageing process of your hair.
- It makes your hair thick, healthy, dense and shining, making you seem attractive.
- This yoga strengthens your hair’s roots while also preventing hair loss.
- It is also used to treat alopecia areata, pattern baldness, and other genetic hair issues.
- It is beneficial to people of all genders and ages. It is also a relaxing activity.
- There is no need to do any specific preparation to enjoy the benefits of nail rubbing.
- For a variety of benefits, rubbing your nails is free reflexology or acupressure therapy.
- It may be done at any time of day and anywhere!
Side Effects of Balayam Yoga
- It improves blood circulation and raises blood pressure, which may increase the risk of hypertension and other related health problems in those who already have high blood pressure.
- Even pregnant women should avoid doing this activity since it might trigger uterine contractions and raise blood pressure.
- People with nail or skin diseases should also avoid this procedure to prevent aggravating their conditions.
- People with diabetes must consult their doctor before engaging in this activity.
- People who have headaches or face hair loss should also avoid this technique, as it may worsen these conditions.
- If done improperly, it can damage the nerves such as those in your fingertips.
- If you rub your nails too hard, you may end up with blood under your nail or experiencing soreness and irritation around the nails.
Advice and things to monitor while doing the Balayam Exercise
- Patients with High Blood Pressure – It’s possible that it’ll be hazardous to those with high blood pressure.
- During Pregnancy – Pregnant women should avoid doing this yoga because it can trigger uterine contractions and high blood pressure.
Those with a history of hypertension or high blood pressure must not do it.
Having skin or nail infections, sores, or painful and damaged or brittle nails will worsen your condition.
Have some patience: Because the Balayan Hair Regrowth or hair fall reduction method takes time and results appear slowly, you need to be patient.
- One Hand Fix & Other Rubbing – If you maintain one hand’s fingernails fixed and massaged the other hand’s nails, the hair around the ear might proliferate.
- Rubbing the Thumb Nails: Rubbing the thumbnails on both hands can enhance the hair on the moustache and beard. As a result, ladies should avoid using their thumbs when training.
Results of balayam exercise
The success and outcomes of this therapy will, in the end, be determined by the type of hair loss. For example, you may reduce your hair loss in 3 to 6 months with continuous balayam practice, but hair growth can take up to 6 to 9 months.
You need to remember that you should practice this activity daily and make other lifestyle changes.
For example, eating a balanced diet, oiling your hair, quitting smoking, using hair masks, and following a good hair care regimen for quicker and better results. If an underlying medical issue causes hair loss, it is best to see a doctor and seek treatment.
Balayam is a traditional alternative therapy that has been used for centuries to promote hair growth.
So, if you are experiencing hair loss issues, it might be a good idea to try this treatment method to stop the progression of your baldness and reverse your hair loss.
The practice of balayam yoga is an age-old tradition originating in India, still favoured by many over modern techniques.
It has been found beneficial in treating alopecia areata, pattern baldness, and other genetic hair issues. Lifestyle changes will also help with results.
It is a holistic approach that includes exercise, diet, and lifestyle changes that can be used with modern medical science to improve hair growth.
Of course, it might take some time before you see results, but one can enjoy a fuller head of hair over some time!