In case of Bikram yoga, the poses are challenging and so it is indeed essential to have the right yoga mat.
You will get different yoga mats in the market, and not all of them are suitable for your bikram yoga session.
This article will give you some tips on what to look for when choosing a yoga mat and which one might be the perfect fit for you.
Let's start by understanding the different types of mats and their pros and cons. All these mats are available on Amazon for every type of yoga!
YOGA DESIGN LAB | The Cork Yoga Mat
- ECO FRIENDLY: Designed to Love the Earth! Our Cork Mat is made with a 100% natural rubber base layer topped with a renewable, sustainable cork top layer.
- ELEVATE YOUR PRACTICE: Our natural rubber base layer offers a unique springy ride that cushions and protects joints, while also remaining stable and supportive in any pose.
- EASY TO CARE FOR: Clean with natural soap and water. Lay flat or hang to air dry.
- PRO TIP: For increased grip, wet your hands or spritz a little water on your mat before practice. While natural cork provides superior wet and dry grip, it is ideal in heated and hot yoga classes because as temperatures rise, cork begins to loosen and becomes softer & easier to grip. It's also moisture-activated - becoming grippier as it gets wet.
- DISCOUNT YOGA SET OFFER: Buy two or more YDL products and get 10% or more off your order. Perfect pair with our Cork Blocks and Yoga Wheels! See promotion codes below.
This high-quality eco-friendly material yoga mat from Yoga Design Lab is made with a natural rubber base with a renewable, sustainable cork top layer.
Rubber is the traditional material used in yoga mats, but it can cause discomfort for those with allergies.
This eco-friendly alternative offers a stable and supportive surface that promotes healthy joints while remaining stable and supportive in any pose.
The cork surface feels great under bare feet and provides superior grip in wet or dry conditions.
Cork has been used for centuries as a material for flooring, furniture, and other surfaces where grip is essential. It’s a renewable material made from bark scraped off of old-growth trees.
Cork grows back over time, and it is believed there are more corks on Earth today than there were corks 40 years ago.
It’s ideal for hot yoga classes because cork begins to loosen and becomes softer & easier to grip as temperatures rise. It’s also moisture-activated – becoming grippier as it gets wet.
- Natural rubber holds heat, which makes it great for hot yoga
- Cork is a renewable, sustainable material that grows back over time
- Quality product
- Yoga mat lasts longer than a regular yoga mat
- Price – $65 for a 1.5mm mat.
- No BPA-free option
- Rubber isn’t as comfortable for those with sensitive joints or allergies
Yoga Mat by TXK
The Mat is an all-around fitness tool that you can use for cardiovascular workouts, weight training, stretching, and more.
It comes in two sizes: one for home use (36" x 60") and one for travel (42" x 84"). The material is 100% natural rubber, so it's extremely durable and won't tear or wear out like traditional exercise mats.
The non-slip bottom ensures that it stays put on the floor, even during intense workouts. The Mat has a built-in handle on one end, which makes it easy to transport and store.
The Mat has a mesh pocket on the other end to keep keys, coins, or other small items organized and handy.
The Mat also features a soft suede surface on both sides, making it extra comfortable to lie on during your workout. The Mat is machine washable, so it’s easy to clean and maintain.
- Non-Slip Texture for firm grip at Bikram Yoga
- Holds its shape and provides cushioning for hot yoga
- It can be easily folded and carried
- You can wash it in the machine
- Comes in different colours and designs
- BPA Free option is not available
IUGA ProNon Slip Yoga Mat
- Unbeatable Non Slip Performance & Ultimate Grip: IUGA yoga mat non slip features polyurethane top layer and textured bottom, absorbing moisture quickly and providing a slip-free surface and strong grip. Keep you always in place no matter what type of yoga you practice. It' s also perfect yoga mat for all forms of yoga, especially Bikram, Vinyasa, Ashtanga and various types of Hot Yoga.
- Durable PU Surface for Hot Yoga: Free from PVC/TPE surface, IUGA hot yoga mat is more wear-resistant and odorless, enduring longer time without smelling when you practice more peofessional yoga movements. To keep odorless, you can using damp towel with mild detergent wipe the area and dry flat.
- Anti-tear Yoga Mats with Middle-layer Mesh: Unlike other rubber yoga mats, our yoga mats incorporates a tear resistant middle-layer mesh for improved durability and good compression performance, it will be an ideal choice for yogis.
- 100% Eco Friendly Yoga Mat: Our Eco Friendly yoga mats with SGS certified material that are friendly for your body. Made of biodegradable and sustainably harvested tree rubber, making the yoga mat non slip completely free from PVC, Latex and other materials. We all know that breathing in unhealthy chemicals is hazardous to health and we always make sure it will never happen from our yoga mats!
- Lightweight & Portable: Weighing in at 2.5 lbs, less than HALF the weight of traditional rubber yoga mats, the exercise mat with free carrying strap is perfect for traveling or carrying it to and from the yoga studio.
If you’re looking for the best yoga mat on the market, you’ve found it. The IUGA Pro Yoga Mat is the most advanced yoga mat on the market, and it’s easy to see why.
It has more cushioning than any other mat out there, it's made with odourless and tasteless rubber, and it's designed with SGS certification.
It means that it is safe for use in all types of hot yoga and Bikram yoga. It is highly durable and will last for years and years.
When you purchase the IUGA Pro Yoga Mat, you get a full one-year warranty, and it will be shipped to you immediately via UPS. The IUGA Pro Yoga Mat is the only yoga mat you will ever need!
- 100% Odorless
- SGS approved, non-toxic and eco-friendly
- Ultra-light for easy travelling and storage
- It has a 5mm cushion base, and it’s also substantial
- Comes in many styles and colours.
- It’s completely washable and can be bleached or dry cleaned.
- It is not as durable as other mats, so you may need to replace it every couple of years if you practice every day.
Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat
The Manduka PROlite Yoga Mat is the most comfortable and portable yoga mat you can buy. It’s 4.7mm thick and dense enough to provide stability and support on any surface.
The Mat is made from PVC that has been certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX, which means it's safe for you and the environment.
Plus, it’s built to last a lifetime and comes with a handy carry case. The Mat is lightweight, easy to clean, and easy to store.
The Mat also features a non-slip grip that provides stability and support, even on wet or uneven surfaces.
A practical carry case is included, so you have a place to keep it clean and dry when you’re not using it.
- Extremely durable
- Comfortable and does not slip on your hands or feet
- Comes in different colours and designs
- Can be easily cleaned in a machine
- Has a rubber smell when you first receive it. It may last for a week or so. The scent is so strong that it even leaves black marks on your clothes when you use the Mat
Heathyoga Eco-Friendly Non-Slip Yoga Mat
- New Eco Friendly Material – More expensive but worth it. TPE is the latest technological improvement to the traditional yoga mats. No latex, no PVC, or any heavy metal. Our mats are made of SGS certified TPE material which is non-slip, odor-less and excellent in cushioning, unlike those cheap & traditional non-green PVC, NBR or EVA yoga mats. They are truly eco-friendly, healthy.
- Body Alignment System: The alignment lines help you to focus and adjust your hands and feet to the accurate position, and keep body in proper alignment.
- Perfect Performance –6mm in thickness offers the most comfortable experience for all level yogis. Double layer structure design provides optimal grip, excellent cushioning and double-sided non-slip texture, best suitable to practice many forms of Yoga.
- Extra Large Size: 72"(183cm) x 26" (66cm); Thickness: 6mm; Weight: 2.8lb (Approx). Longer and wider than regular yoga mats, ideal almost for everyone. Velcro strap and Carrying strap included.
- Specialized Yoga Brand: Being a professional yoga product manufacturer for over 10 years, we have been and still continuing to source our planet for the best materials to achieve the best yoga mats. Please visit HEATHYOGA AMAZON STORE for more product offerings!
Not all yoga mats are the same. Some yoga mats are made from natural rubber, others from PVC, and some are even coated with toxic chemicals. That’s why Heathyoga is so unique.
Not only does it use non-toxic TPE material (Thermoplastic Elastomer), but also, it has three alignment lines on the bottom to help you maintain proper alignment while you practice your poses. This Mat is designed with the beginner in mind, but experienced yogis can also use it.
It’s easy to clean and can be thrown in the washing machine. It’s also backed by a 60-day money-back guarantee and a one-year warranty.
In addition, it is hypoallergenic and does not absorb odours like traditional PVC, NBR, or EVA mats.
This eco-friendly yoga mat is a must-have for all yoga lovers concerned about the quality of their practice and the health of their bodies.
- Non-Slip Texture for superior grip in Bikram Yoga
- Comes in different colours and designs
- Very high-quality material. Thick and firm
- Has three alignment lines on the bottom of the Mat to help you maintain proper alignment while practising your poses.
- Has a Velcro strap to help carry your Mat with ease
- It is a little expensive
Plyopic All-In-One Yoga Mat
In today’s world, almost everyone is busy trying to get fit and stay healthy. It includes yoga and Pilates practitioners who need a high-quality mat to ensure their practice stays solid and balanced.
The Plyopic Mat is the best option for all these users, offering comfort and a non-slip base that enhances stability and balance.
The Mat from Plyopic is a unique hybrid product that double duty as a yoga mat and a workout mat.
The 3mm thick non-slip rubber base makes it easy to stay in place during exercise, while the sticky surface offers a secure grip on sweaty hands.
Flip the Mat over to use it as a towel or cleaning cloth for your yoga mat after class. It’s a handy tool that comes in handy when you travel and need to clean up after yourself.
- Rugged and durable
- It is very comfortable and great for hot yoga
- Many different colours and designs available to choose from.
- Expensive. $60+
Gaiam Yoga Mat
- FITNESS & EXERCISE MAT: Classic yoga mat is great for all types of fitness and exercise routines including yoga, Pilates and any floor exercise where additional cushion and support is appreciated.
- EXTRA THICK YOGA MAT: These 2/5 inch exercise mats make for the ideal all purpose fitness mat in the studio or at home, even around the house under knees or as a standing pad or cushion.
- SOFT CUSHION: This yoga mat made of NBR foam is designed to provide soft cushioning with the padded material for comfortable stretching and posing - an ideal yoga mat for beginners with comfort in mind.
- INCLUDES YOGA MAT CARRIER STRAP: Included with your yoga mat is a carrying strap so you can strap up your mat and go.
- DIMENSIONS: 72 inches L x 24 inches W x 2/5 Inch (3.11 pounds).
Gaiam’s Premium Reversible 6mm Thick Extra-Thick Yoga Mat is made with non-toxic, phthalate-free PVC and is designed to help you achieve a healthy and happy you.
The Mat features a 6mm thick layer of extra-thick rubberized PVC for superior traction and cushioning. The reversible design has a textured, sticky non-slip surface on one side and a smooth, soft non-slip surface.
It makes it easy to use no matter what type of workout you are doing. The Mat is 68 inches long so that it will fit most standard yoga mat holders.
In addition, it is 24 inches wide, which is the perfect size to accommodate almost any workout space.
The Mat is also very lightweight, weighing only 2.2 pounds. Gaiam’s yoga mat is easy to clean and comes with a five-year warranty.
- Thick enough to provide cushioning when doing various poses, but still lightweight
- Has traction on both sides of the Mat
- It is very comfortable and does not slip
- Comes in various colours and designs.
- Does not come with a carrying case or strap-like; some other mats do. You have to buy one separately.
BalanceFrom GoYoga All-Purpose Mat
Yoga is one of the most effective exercises for keeping you healthy and flexible. In addition, the benefits of regular yoga practice have been proven by many studies.
With Balance From's All-Purpose Premium Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat, you can get all of the health and fitness advantages of yoga without having to put up with a bunch of pesky equipment.
This premium eco-friendly yoga mat is made from high-density, non-tear, anti-slip material that provides superior cushioning and balance.
It's incredibly comfortable and durable. Plus, it has double-sided anti-slip properties to help prevent falls.
The Mat also has been treated with moisture-resistant technology to keep it fresh and clean after each use.
This premium eco-friendly yoga mat comes with an excellent slip resistant advantage to prevent injuries. In addition, the carrying strap makes it easy to transport and store.
- Very soft and comfortable
- Strong and durable
- Does not smell like other mats
- Comes with a carrying strap for easy transport
- A little slippery on hardwood floors or smooth surfaces. It tends to slide around a bit.
What to look for when buying a mat for Bikram yoga
When choosing a mat for Bikram yoga, the key point is that you should decide which kind of surface you will work on.
If you like more complex surfaces like a wood floor, rock, or cement, you can choose a thin and light mat (3 mm or less). It is better to go with non-toxic mats if your skin is susceptible and prone to allergies.
There are mats made from rubber and PVC. PVC is non-toxic, yet this kind of rubber does not feel so soft, but it can be very durable. Rubber mats are usually less expensive than PVC.
Some people prefer the rubber because they do not have to worry about their skin being in contact with chemicals in PVC mats.
These are also lighter in weight and more portable. You will find that there are anti-slip yoga mats available that help you with balance poses.
If you are practising hot yoga, you will probably want a thicker mat. There are many anti-slip mats made of PVC and natural rubber available. The thickness of the Mat will depend on your needs.
If you find that the surface of the Mat is too hard, you can use a yoga towel to make it softer. You can also buy sticky mats for different surfaces like the ones used in studios.
They usually last longer than rubber non-stick mats because they are less prone to wear and tear, but they are also more expensive.
There are many factors to consider when choosing the best yoga mat for Bikram yoga. The main factor in determining why you need a yoga mat and what you plan on using it for.
If it's for everyday use and simple stretching, you can look for a cheaper option. But if you do Bikram yoga, then the best choice would be to purchase a premium quality yoga mat specifically designed to withstand the demands of such intense exercise!